This summer break / accelerated semester is being spent churning out all the remaining layouts so I can focus on animation and audio in hopes of hitting my primary deadline. The layouts cover a lot of the beginning, third, and final quarters of the film. There will be a number more color cards and simple two color backgrounds, but these are the complicated layouts. ONLY FOUR LEFT! But some of them are going to be quite a bit more difficult.
Marshall Stevens is a BFA student at the school where I teach, who has an interest and acumen for digital painting. He’s particularly good at taking notes and incorporating set styles. Not to mention he’s just an overall hard worker. I tasked him with painting several background plates this last quarter, some I provided layout drawings for, and some we roughed out together based on the rough indications of the animatic. Here’s a sampling of his work.
Here is the final cut of Shot 50, my initial test shot, so it’s not really a making of, so much as a conclusion. Many things about the pipeline were worked out on this quick shot.
Primary personal notes: Let’s animate bigger if we’re going to start closer to the action, so we can avoid pixelization on final render.
Be careful and thorough with the ScanCleaner function in TVPaint, so that painting in Photoshop is quick and easy for myself and future assistants.
Do more animation, less camera work! (This is really the only real big multiplane shot, so I am happy to have knocked it out.)
Tom Bancroft‘s feedback was:
… I have to say you’ve done an EXCELLENT job on your thesis project so far John! I’m really impressed. I didn’t think you’d finish the pan shot all in color and fully animated, when I saw a first pass of the camera move, just a few weeks ago. You did a lot of work in that short amount of time and it really is at a high level. The woman who’s skirt flies up really came a long way and you took my notes and ran with them well. The camera move concerns I had initially (that it would be too fast) have been tweaked and refined and work really well now…
…Just keep going. There is A LOT to get done still, so I hope you don’t rush anything too quickly, but stay at it at in even clip. Don’t be afraid to redo things as you continue forward, much like you did segments of the pan animation. It will pay off. I look forward to seeing the final product!
So, that’s pretty intense, huh?
Here are some frame mock ups / color scripts for the effects heavy shot 25. I’m pretty pleased with these. Obviously the hippo will have wings throughout the shot, and the bg will be reworked a bit, as this was just a spot painting required by the effects course that I am doing the pencil test effects in as a final. I am still a ways off from finalizing this shot, but probably not more than week or two after this semester ends. Exciting stuff is happening.
I’m trying to document the making of as I go so you really feel what it’s like to be in this production with me. I hope you are enjoying it.
This is primarily some rough concept art and background studies I did, with and without reference, to flesh out the general feeling of “Zoo” that I can trying to create in Hipposterous. The majority of the references I used were from my own photograph collection from Zoo Atlanta, the Nashville Zoo, and both the Old and current L.A. Zoo’s in Griffith Park. I then used these references to build the rough backgrounds in the animatics, as well as produce the rough color study concept and multiplane layout displayed here.